Woodland Park High School’s (WPHS) Boys Wrestling team, under the leadership of Coach Matthew Hood, demonstrated exceptional skill and resilience at the recent Rob Mickel Tournament held on December 9th in Salida. Despite missing wrestlers in the 113, 215, and 285-pound categories, the team showed determination, securing an impressive 3rd place overall in the tournament.
The team’s individual achievements were highlighted by standout performances in various weight classes. Bryson Leonhardt claimed the top spot at 165lbs, securing a well-deserved 1st place. Aidan Hood and Dewey Allen both secured 2nd place in their respective weight classes at 190lbs and 150lbs. Eleazar Fuqua and Aaron Douglas earned 3rd place at 106lbs and 175lbs, respectively. Ben Summeril, Jaret Walker, and Graham Greenhaw displayed their skills by securing 4th place in the 157lbs, 132lbs, and 138lbs weight classes. Bradyn Hancock rounded out the team’s success with a 5th place finish at 150lbs.
Coach Hood expressed his pride in the team’s achievements, especially considering they competed without wrestlers in three weight classes. “We only had 11 of the 14 weight classes filled, and yet, the team brought home a lot of hardware,” Hood exclaimed.
The team’s success is not limited to tournaments alone. WPHS’s wrestling squad is currently boasting a stellar 6-1 record in duals this season. The results of recent duals showcase the team’s dominance on the mat:
- On November 29th, the team traveled to Rye and secured a victory with a 42-12 score.
- On November 30th, WPHS hosted Mullen and Manitou Springs, losing to Mullen 60-24 but bouncing back with a big win against Manitou Springs with a score of 57-18.
- December 4th saw the team victorious again as they traveled to Mitchell, claiming a 48-36 win.
- On December 6th, WPHS faced James Irwin, securing a 42-36 victory. They also faced Sierra at the same location, winning with another 42-36 win.
- December 7th marked another successful away match as WPHS defeated Strasburg with a score of 46-24.
Coach Hood commended the team’s outstanding performance, stating, “We are doing really, really well this year and are one tough team to beat.”
About the Woodland Park School District Re-2 Woodland Park School District Re-2, 155 Panther Way, Woodland Park, CO 80863. Phone: 719. 686.2000. Learn more at https://wpsdk12.org.