Stage set for Lee Sentencing

Krystal Kenney Lee

~ by Trevor Phipps ~

Shortly after Patrick Frazee was found guilty on multiple felony charges and sentenced to life in prison without parole plus 196 years, both he and his mistress and accomplice, Krystal Kenney Lee, faced additional court dates at the Teller County Courthouse in Cripple Creek.

Fazee attended a hearing that had to do with custody of the child he and Kelsey Berreth, the woman he brutally murdered, shared along with a closed hearing dealing with the civil suit the Berreth family has pressed against Frazee. Lee had a hearing that set the date of her sentencing for the charges of tampering with evidence for January 28. Lee had pleaded guilty to these charges as part of a plea deal she made with prosecutors.

During her sentencing, people in favor of Lee, as well as those against her, will get a chance to give statements to District Court Judge Scott Sells. Sells will most likely hear statements from Berreth’s family along with others that will be pushing him to give Lee the maximum sentence allowed. Friends and family of the Idaho woman will also likely make statements that speak to the judge positively about Lee’s character.

Based on state law with the charges the district attorney’s office filed against Lee, she could receive a minimum of 18 months in a half-way house and up to a maximum of three years in a state prison. During most sentencing hearings, those speaking up for the assailant will push for the minimum whereas the prosecution will push for the maximum and the judge meets somewhere in the middle.

District Attorney Dan May

However, due to the circumstances surrounding the case, many expect the judge to sentence the murderer’s accomplice to prison time that sits close to the maximum allowed under state law which is three years behind bars. District Attorney Dan May has referred to the arrangement with Lee as “making a deal with the Devil.”

As far as Frazee goes, it is believed that he has finally found his permanent home inside the state’s correctional system. When he first left the Teller County Detention Center, he was placed on a bus and taken to an intake facility located in the Denver area.

After some time at the state correctional department’s transitional penitentiary, the former Teller resident and convicted killer then was relocated to a state pen in Canon City. After only a small amount of time in Teller’s neighboring county the inmate was then sent out east.

Frazee currently resides in a state-owned and operated facility called Arkansas Valley State Prison, which is located in Crowley County near the town of Ordway. The prison was built in 1987 and houses around a 1,000 inmates at the most in low, medium and maximum security units.

On the Colorado Department of Corrections website, Frazee is listed as a current inmate at the Arkansas Valley facility and no parole date is listed since he was sentenced life in prison without parole. On the website, Frazee’s estimated sentence discharge date is listed as 12/31/9998 to reflect the fact that the convicted killer was given a life sentence plus almost 200 years for all of the felony charges filed against him in his case. This basically means that Frazee will pass away in prison and never get a chance for freedom again in his lifetime.

Patrick Frazee

Before Frazee was relocated, it was reported that the inmate made an unprecedented amount of phone calls during his last days at the Teller County Jail. According to Teller County Sheriff’s Commander Greg Couch, despite several failed attempts by some to reach out to the inmate, he made over 1,500 phone calls during the week after he was convicted.

The commander said that the sheriff’s office learned about the large amount of phone calls and reported it to the district attorney’s office. However, the sheriff’s office could not release who Frazee called and do not know why the number of calls was so high.

What is known is that after Frazee was convicted, several individuals reached out to try to contact the convicted killer but they were unsuccessful. Directly after the Florissant resident’s conviction, the sheriff’s office said that calls came in during all times in the day and night including some from dozens of priests.

Couch also said that several media agencies reached out to Frazee and tried to get him to comment on his conviction. At one point, according to the commander, Frazee accepted money offered to him from a news agency.

But then, even after the media agency paid him, Frazee refused to talk to the reporters. The commander said that Frazee took the money offered to him and used it to make other phone calls and never contacted the news agency that paid him.